Outdoor weddings can be extraordinary, beautiful and memorable, but they also come with their unique challenges. Here are some tips to help you plan and enjoy your outdoor wedding:
- Have a backup plan: This is important regardless of the time of the year you’re looking to host your wedding in Nigeria. Rain is a common phenomenon so it is important to plan for the possibility of it raining on your wedding day. You can consider renting a tent or have an indoor space as a backup.
- Consider the time of day: The time of day of your outdoor wedding can make a huge difference in the comfort of your guests and even you. Is your wedding earlier or later in the day? Consider holding the ceremony and reception later in the day to avoid the heat of the afternoon sun and take advantage of the cooler temperatures and picture perfect sunset. Alternatively, make provision for fans or cooling systems so that your guests are comfortable and enjoy your wedding.
- Choose appropriate attire: Consider the location of your wedding when choosing your wedding attire. For example, if you’re getting married on a beach, you may want to opt for a free flowing attire that can handle the sand, breeze and saltwater.
- Provide shade: If your ceremony or reception will be in direct sunlight, make sure to provide shade for your guests. This could be in the form of umbrellas, a canopy, or a tent.
- Think about lighting: For an outdoor evening wedding, plan for proper lighting because as the sun sets, lighting becomes even more important for outdoor weddings. Consider stringing lights throughout the space or using artificial candles to create a warm, romantic atmosphere.
- Bug control: If you’re getting married in an area with mosquitoes or other bugs, consider disinfecting the place before your wedding or provide bug spray or lighting citronella candles to help keep insects at bay.
- Use natural surroundings: One of the biggest benefits of an outdoor wedding is the natural beauty of the surroundings. Use the natural scenery to your advantage and consider incorporating elements of nature into your decoration. This is especially important for a garden wedding.
- Provide appropriate footwear: If you’re getting married on a grassy or uneven surface, make sure to let your guests know so they can wear appropriate footwear.
Get your wedding day emergency kit list here
Check out our Youtube channel for more wedding planning tips and guides.